Chris Brogan wrote a blog post titled, "11 Reasons to Take the Train," and I just had to share it with you here.

I feel the same way as Chris, but more so about commuter trains and subways. There's nothing like sitting back and watching the seasons change as I take the 1 hour trip from my town to NYC. Amtrak, in my experience, is slow and sometimes late, and it can make for a long, long trip.

I have taken Amtrak a few times from Trenton to Pittsburgh. The price couldn't be beat - $45 round trip, but it did take about 8-9 hours to arrive at my destination!

Is speed or the ability to unplug more important to me? Honestly, I don't know. It really depends on how I am feeling and what the purpose of my trip is. Vacations, unplugging is important, but if it is business, speed is most important!

What say you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unplugging is nice, but I think the number one thing transit could do to boost ridership is "wire" their buses and trains. We're doing it in Austin. Too many people consider time spent on transit to be wasted time. Never mind the fact they don't have to drive a vehicle, they can do most anything they want to do. Providing wifi could be the incentive many need. Imagine being able to check your email and be on top of things before getting to the office? Or just having time to check your Facebook page or other time wasters that you ordinarily wouldn't have time for.

MHJ said...

I'll definitely have to look into the wireless system Austin is putting in. That sounds like a promising idea for a lot of systems.

I don't know if it would be a good idea to have cell phone access on underground, just on principle. Do we want to hear the conversations strangers have with their friends?